This is what’s going on with me:
1: Poor Andre. He’s not a happy camper. This is the face of a dog with cabin fever. It’s almost over and we can’t wait.
2: If you are looking for inspiration to eat local then read Manresa: An Edible Reflection by David Kinch . They take eating local to a whole new level.
3: A little overzealous?
5: I am now the proud owner of a high powered blender. Super smooth smoothies and pesto, and it grinds nuts beautifully but really loud.
6: Thanks for all the flowers. You know who you are.
7: I need… some warm weather now.
8: I want… some warm weather now.
9: I have… to feel the warmth of the sun on my skin.
10: How is the weather where you’re at?
Here is a great addition to any breakfast, lunch or snack and takes under 20 minutes to prepare.
I love these honey roasted pecans. Yes they are sticky but I like that. I have been snacking on them all week. Muy delicioso!
Makes 2 cups
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 1/4 cup honey (I used Organic wildflower honey from Brazil)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place pecans on baking tray and bake 12-15 minutes.
- Combine pecans and honey in a medium saucepan on medium-high heat. Cook until honey begins to form bubbles. Place pecans and honey on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Separate as much as possible. They are pretty sticky. Cool and place in a container until ready to use.
Tapas are hand held morsels that are said to have made their first appearance in the bars of Spain. I think they are perfect for an impromptu party because they don’t need a lot of preparation time. Don’t limit yourself to what’s here. The combinations can be endless. The only rule I know of is they have to fit in the palm of your hand to qualify as tapas. Invite some friends over and take pleasure in one of Spain’s culinary contributions.
Serve with sherry, red wine, or sangria. Tienda.com has a large variety of Spanish products and recipes. Try some Spanish olive oil. Muy delicioso!
To keep with the theme and enhance the mood, go to the library and pick up some music from Spain. Most libraries offer a variety of music from around the world and it’s free if you bring it back on time.
I’ve tried the following for tapas recipes:
Cut a tomato in half. Rub inside of tomato on a piece of toasted bread. Mix together a crushed garlic clove and Spanish olive oil. Spread onto bread. Top with serrano ham; instant tapas.
Begin by cutting a french loaf into slices. Place the slices on a baking pan. Using a pastry brush to apply Spanish olive oil to each slice. Place in pre-heated 350 degree oven for 10 minutes or until crispy.
Place smoked salmon slices or herring soaked in oil on a platter. Sprinkle with fresh basil leaves. The colors of each item compliment each other.
Fill bowls with sliced almonds, mixed olives or bite-size pieces of gruyere cheese. Try some olive tapenade. It’s tasty.
You’re now ready to pull the bread from the oven. Place crispy bread on a plate and serve with the toppings. It’s fun to see what combinations each person will come up with. Don’t forget some napkins and an empty dish for the olive pits.
Here’s a few others I’ve shared.
and if that’s not enough, this site has
Last year when my car was on it’s last legs I found myself spending several hours at a car dealership and was lucky to have a book on hand. It helped make the time go by. The book was Weird but True. These books are great.
So did you know that chickens earlobes determine egg shell color? There are a few exceptions but in general if a chicken has white earlobes they will lay white eggs. Chickens that have red earlobes will lay brown eggs. Neat huh? Thank you Weird but True.
Today was a great photo session. It was the sun, the food, the props,the color choices, pretty much everything fell in line today. I love those days.
I’ve also learned a few things about Queso cheese recently. Did you know there are two types? One is a Queso fresco; the cheese manufacturers use rennet which is an enzyme that curdles the milk. Queso fresco cheese melts. Whereas Queso blanco’s process is milk curdled with acid and does not melt but does soften and become creamy when heated. Both cheeses are not aged and they taste great.
The eggs take center stage in this recipe so if you don’t like Queso cheese no problem just switch it. Let’s say you don’t like sweet potatoes. You can always use plain ole potatoes. As for the greens use what you’ve got or what you like.
Total time in kitchen approximately 35-40 minutes
- 2 cups shredded sweet potatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shredded Queso fresco cheese ( this cheese melts nicely)
- 1 cup Aquaponics baby kale (or just baby kale)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- sourdough bread
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Heat pan over medium-high heat. Spray with oil and add shredded sweet potatoes. Stir occasionally and cook for 5-7 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and set aside.
- Place eggs in a medium bowl with milk and blend together. Spray a glass pie dish with oil and place sweet potatoes on bottom. Spread out evenly. Pour eggs into pie dish and sprinkle on cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven 20-22 minutes. Remove from oven and cut into desired servings. Serve with sourdough bread, baby kale, and chopped cilantro.
These cookies are not full of pomp and circumstance but they do have many lovely traits. They are made with banana, oats, honey, dried coconut, and cocoa powder. How is that for a short list?
They cook up in 15-20 minutes and they can easily be labeled healthy. Don’t they look healthy?
They are great for breakfast on the go or a sweet snack in the afternoon. My batch was gone in an instant so I have to wait for some bananas to brown so I can make more.
Makes approximately 16 cookies
- 2 cups ground oats
- 2 cups very ripe mashed bananas
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons dried coconut
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix together.
- Spray a tablespoon with oil, scoop out cookie dough and place on 2 cookie trays lined with parchment paper. After every 2 scoops spray tablespoon so cookie dough comes off spoon easily.
- Bake in oven 15-20 minutes. Cool for a few minutes and serve.
Right now I have garlic breath. Yep that’s what my favorite guy said when he came home today. Mind you I just finished dinner and had a good amount of roasted garlic in my Brussels Sprouts. No I don’t go around breathing on people right after I’ve eaten garlic. Whoops. He loves me.
So if you are afraid of garlic breath you might want to add way less to this recipe. I’m sure it will still taste great.
Serves 2 for a light lunch
- 3 cups finely sliced brussels sprouts
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon organic roasted garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped orange bell pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded gouda cheese
- Heat pan on medium-high heat. Spray with oil, add brussels sprouts, dijon mustard, and roasted garlic. Spray top of brussels sprouts. Cook on medium heat 4-6 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add orange pepper and cook an additional 3-4 minutes while keeping an eye on the color of the sprouts. You don’t want them to get over cooked.
- Remove from heat, cover and let sit allowing the cheese to melt. Serve on sourdough bread.
I am happy to present this lovely green smoothie that does not contain any banana. Here is a great combination that works. It is made creamy by the addition of one of my favorite frozen fruits; peaches.
The ingredient list is short and sweet; pineapple chunks, frozen peaches, baby spinach, coconut milk, water and ice cubes.
Did I mention it takes only minutes to make? I like to buy frozen fruit for this reason. It can easily cut out several minutes of prep time. Some days minutes really count in the morning. Do you ever feel if you just had four more minutes in the morning your hair would have looked slightly better?
Here are three good reasons to buy frozen peaches.
1) makes smoothies creamy
2) already chopped
3) reasonably priced
4) you don’t have to rush to use them or you might because this smoothie is so good
Give this green smoothie a try. It’s especially friendly to smoothie newbies.
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup chopped pineapple chunks
- 1 cup frozen peaches
- 1 cup coconut milk beverage
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup ice cubes
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend well. Serve immediately.
My heart belongs to these recipes and each one has been made to share with those I love.
We all want to share love, be loved, and be in love. Our hearts and minds desire this above all else. Why else would we stay up all night or get up extra early, or go a certain path hoping to run into that one, that special one.
When you have the chance to be in love you take it. Right? You don’t know what might happen but that’s what makes it so exciting. When I met my favorite guy I just knew he was what I needed in my life. Over the years I’ve had the opportunity to experience many good times, some sad times and times that I didn’t quite understand. He was always there and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Those experiences bond us in a way nothing else can. Love you with all I have My Favorite Guy.
If you have someone in your life that is important to you (examples being your mom, dad, good friend, anyone who builds you up when you need it most) tell them you love them because they need to know.
Make someone happy with these healthy dessert ideas that are perfect for your sweetie or just because you want to see someone :)
XO XO XO
I really like the way these burgers came out. It took some time to put this recipe together but that said it is now complete. They are full of healthy ingredients and do a good job of staying together which is a plus.
I was able to get 4-5 burgers out of this batch. I’m pretty sure if you double the ingredients you could have a bunch for lunch or dinner later in the week.
I made a quick and easy 3 ingredient dressing to go with these burgers and it’s spicy. It actually seemed to be a little spicier the next day. I don’t mind because I’m a super fan of Frank’s Red Hot Sauce. The ingredient list is clean and short. Well I’m really into hot sauce in general. Don’t tell my in-laws or I might start getting lots of hot sauce gifts again for the next couple of years. Our secret OK?
- 1 (15-ounce) can lentils, drained
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup finely chopped kale
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 5 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
Ingredients for Buffalo Dressing
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
Directions for Lentil Quinoa Burgers
- Place lentils in bowl and mash up a bit using a potato masher or fork. Add quinoa and kale. Sprinkle on salt, pepper, cumin, and oregano, making sure to put it all over the mixture or it will be concentrated in one area.
- Add flour and bread crumbs. Mix together and then form into equal size patties. If you have any trouble making them stick together, add a tablespoon or two of water. That should do it. Heat a pan on medium-high heat and spray lightly with oil. Add patty and spray top. Flip after 3-4 minutes and cook 3-4 more minutes. Set aside and prepare Buffalo Sauce.
Directions for Buffalo Sauce
- Place Greek yogurt, hot sauce, and honey in a bowl. Mix together and serve.
Oh how I like an easy meal idea. The hardest part about preparation is all the chopping. That really applies for lots of meals. I recommend a good set of knives and a good knife sharpener. When you have a good knife all that chopping, slicing, and mincing doesn’t seem so bad.
My favorite guy is not a fan of salmon that comes from a package or can and if you feel the same you can always switch this with a different fish, fresh salmon, tofu, or meat of your choice. This is an easy recipe to double or triple. Whatever you need, it’s easy with this combination.
Now I’m sure you’re aware that the buffalo dressing is spicy. I mean really spicy. I did say hot sauce. I really like Frank’s Red Hot Original. The ingredient list is short and clean. I love buffalo style sauce so this is right up my alley.
Ingredients for Salad
- 2 cup chopped romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup chopped white button mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped red pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- 1 (5 ounce) package pink salmon
Ingredients for Buffalo Dressing
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
Directions for Salad
- Clean and chop romaine lettuce, white button mushrooms, and red pepper. Shred carrot. Place all vegetables in a bowl and throw salmon on top.
Directions for Buffalo Dressing
- Place all ingredients in a separate bowl and mix together. Place a quarter cup of dressing in a bowl and enjoy with salad. Save the rest for another meal.