This recipe looks like it will take a while but it really only takes about 20-25 minutes. When you prepare the sweet potatoes a big part of the preparation is making sure the skins of the potatoes are cleaned thoroughly. They need a good scrubbing. If you have a clean scrubber sponge or vegetable brush this really gets them clean.
Enjoy an easy and healthy lunch or dinner with some Lentil and Sweet Potato Salad.
- 4 cup peeled and cubed sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried onion
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 15 ounce can lentils
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 to 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- Clean and scrub the skin of the sweet potatoes in cold water.
- Dry the sweet potatoes with paper towel.
- Prick the outside of the potatoes in several areas with a fork. This lets steam escape while they cook.
- Microwave the potatoes on a microwave-safe plate for 5 to 10 minutes, depending on the wattage of your microwave. Mine is a 900 watt microwave oven so it takes about 7-9 minutes to steam the sweet potatoes. Check after 6 minutes to see if they are soft. Don’t over cook or they will be dry.
- Remove the potatoes from the microwave oven and place on a cutting board. Let cool for a few minutes before cutting into cubes.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat and add dried onion, garlic clove, and cumin.
- Stir in sweet potatoes and lentils. Add salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, stir in cilantro, and juice of lime.
- Place spinach on plates and scoop the sweet potato and lentil mixture on top. Serve.